Fitting Fun in Fitness
Exercise and fun – two words that many of us would not use in the same sentence! But with a little know-how and some fresh ideas, it’s easy to make exercise fun. That’s important because-- let’s face it-- if it’s not fun, you’re not going to keep it up!
- Find things you enjoy doing! Just like eating well, if it doesn’t taste good, it doesn’t matter how good it is for you -- you’re not going to eat it. Exercise is the same way: You’ve got to find activities you like to do. Walking, biking, swimming, running, rollerblading – the possibilities are endless!
- Mix it up. Walk one day, bike the next, take a class after work. One key to keeping things fun is to not get bored doing the same thing day after day after day. Even if walking is your exercise of choice, take different routes each time you go out. If taking classes is your thing, try a yoga class one day and kickboxing on another.
- Make it a family affair. Besides setting a good example for your entire family, spending active time together is a great way to have a great time. Go for a hike. Throw a Frisbee in the park. Hit some tennis balls together.
- Find a fitness friend. Many of us stay more motivated with a friend. Not only that, you’re less likely to sleep in when you know your neighbor is outside waiting for you with her tennis shoes on.
- Pass on date-night movies. Do something active instead. Go for a walk after dinner. Go dancing. Take a step or spin class together. Experience a rock-climbing wall!
- Take an active vacation. Think about a bike tour…an active spa trip…a hike-in camping trip.
- Reward yourself! Taking steps to be more active each day is a reward in itself, but when you need a little something extra to keep you motivated, treat yourself with things other than food when you meet your exercise and weight goals. Download a new song, get that new running outfit, subscribe to a health and fitness magazine, get a massage.
Exercise and fun – two words that can definitely go together!